Friday, May 1, 2009

Becoming highly effective and the Swine Flu

I am not terribly effective but I am working on it. Steven Covey is assisting me right now. I don't know if any of you know the Franklin Covey system of planners but you've most likely heard of the book "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People". Anyway, I have been making an effort to establish my roles for the week on Sunday. Roles being things like, father, husband, worship leader, etc. you get the idea. So anyway, one of my roles the past few weeks has been "musician". I am trying to get back into being more creative and bringing back the musician in me. Learning new songs, writing a little and generally beating on my guitar whenever I can. So this weeks challenge/goal for myself was to write a poem about anything. It didn't have to be anything groundbreaking and I'm not much of a poet. Being someone who usually finds the humor in chaos ( Ask me about my song "West Nile Virus Blues"), the recent media blitz and corresponding all around paranoia about the swine flu provided the inspiration.
So here ya go a Guit-Box daddy original poem:

N1H1 musing #1
I Thought it was just a cough.
A lingering cough from the recent weather change.
But someone at the grocery store told me "we're done for"
That "not only are illegal immigrants taking our jobs, now they're killing us"
"No, really, it's just a cough"
I wanted to look up the word "pandemic"
but ended up playing Daily Trivia instead
People freaked out a little
I was just irritated that I couldn't sing
When I turned on the t.v. and there was nothing but static,
I decided to write a song about it.
Actually I decided to write a sonnet, but I couldn't remember the rules.
All I could come up with was this:
"Oh foul swine!
Oh eater of bones and garbage!
In the farmers romantic sight
you are clever and wise!
but to everybody else....
you are pork chop demise!!"

No comments: